We are committed to:
- Making a difference in people’s lives through open access to the past.
- Working seamlessly from archaeological investigation through to compelling public attractions and events, creating authentic, interactive, exciting opportunities for engagement as well as enjoyment.
- Being an open, collaborative, educational charity.
- Illuminating the past’s importance, advancing knowledge while also protecting archaeology and heritage.
- Delivering excellence and value to our clients, visitors and colleagues.
- Being an exemplary employer.
- Working sustainably and reducing our environmental impact.
£500 Million to York's Economy
In economic terms, JORVIK Viking centre has contributed more than half-a-billion pounds to York’s economy since it opened its doors in 1984. The Coppergate excavations on which JORVIK is based remain one of the greatest archaeological success stories in the UK.
We provide a hub for volunteers, with 300 people contributing approximately 6,000 hours each year. This helps us to achieve our goals, while providing an opportunity to deliver the increasingly recognised benefits volunteering provides.
58,636 School Visits
Each year nearly 60,000 school children come to our attractions, events and activities, extending our impact to the next generation. We also provide in-school learning through face-to-face and virtual outreach sessions.